We all are staying inside more during winter; we are looking at a very cold week ahead which makes it hard to get motivated to go for a walk or run. It is also hard not to snack when at home and cook healthier meals when you really want something hearty. Here are some tips to help you overcome these winter roadblocks and be successful with your weight loss.
- Try new indoor activities- when it is cold outside, we don’t want to workout outside or even get in the car to go to the gym. Use your home or apartment building as your workout room! You can run or walk the stairs, try an online workout class, play a dancing game with your kids or take a virtual yoga class. These are all ways of staying active during these colder months.
- Don’t load up on salt- when you’re eating fewer fresh foods in the winter, you are probably eating more packaged and processed foods. These can be sources of high sodium which can cause you to retain water. Even if your keeping your calorie intake in check, water weight can make you feel bloated and sluggish. Try eating foods such as avocados, bananas, tomatoes, sweet potatoes and coconut water. These are great sources of potassium-rich foods that will help with water weight. Stay hydrated throughout the day instead of snacking.
- Sneaking veggies in your comfort foods- when you are cold, you aren’t exactly wanting raw veggies and fruit. Soups and stews are a great way to get vegetables in, but you have to choose wisely. Opt for broth-based soups and not a cream base. If you aren’t in the mood for a cold salad, try to warm your veggies and toss them in a bowl. Roasted sweet potatoes, peppers, carrots, asparagus and Brussel sprouts over some cauliflower rice can be a hearty comfort type meal.
Try these online workout classes:
- Get one month free of online classes: https://www.onepeloton.com/bikes/classes
- Free 30 minute daily workouts- https://www.orangetheory.com/en-us/athome/#open-modal
- Live at home workouts and community support: https://campgladiator.com/virtual
- Corepower Yoga (around $20 a month): https://www.corepoweryogaondemand.com/
- Senior Citizens get free access with email: https://ymca360.org/members/new#/
- Online classes for beginners and whole family: https://my.lifetime.life/on-demand.html
- 5 minute yoga App: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/5-minute-yoga-workouts/id362093404
- Jazzercise virtual classes ($20/month after free trial): https://ondemand.jazzercise.com/